Thursday, March 15, 2012

Bird Museum

Second grade does a wonderful unit on birds every Spring. It includes a field trip to the World Bird Sanctuary as well as a research poster and culminates in dressing up as your bird and doing a "museum" consisting of a 30 second presentation to parents and other classes at CCS.

Sam chose the Atlantic Puffin as his bird. It is in the arctic bird family! Ask him about his bird and he can tell you a myriad of interesting facts! Making the costume was fairly easy because we at least only had 3 basic colors unlike Emma's painted bunting choice last year!


We, meaning I, got a late start on the costume. Sam was getting sort of stressed out that it wasn't going to be done on time and I kept assuring him that I would get it done. He was more than grateful when he saw the finished product yesterday. It was no the most elaborate costume by any means, but he loved it and that made me happy :)

Here is his research poster:
Here is Bradley, the king penguin, next to Sam. Bradley, "Where is your face?"
I am so proud of Sam and really of the entire second grade for pulling this off. I drove on Tuesday to the bird sanctuary and all 5 of the kids in my van would not stop talking about their birds. They really learned a lot through this unit and it was a joy to see them so excited about learning.

Now off to bed. The bird museum is an exhausting week for the parents.

No comments: