Sunday, May 10, 2009

Mother's Day!

So today was the big day! As listed in my previous post I really did not expect or deserve any additional Mother's Day treats or gifts. However, by God's amazing grace I somehow get more than I deserve all the time. I am so blessed to have a wonderful, loving and giving husband who is more selfless than I could probably dream of being. I am also so blessed to have been entrusted with these 3 children who constantly refocus my life and bring me great joy and a little frustration too :)

Our day began with kids sleeping in! That is a special gift that only comes once in a while. Emma slept until 9 am!! Scott took Sam to early service and I came later with the girls to the 9:45 service. The girls wanted to do Sunday school because they knew they would make special mother's day gifts, so I sat alone in church. The sermon was wonderful about Hannah and her long prayed for son, Samuel. Those of you who know my story know that my Samuel was not long prayed for... so that part made me chuckle! However, the sermon spoke to my heart and made me realize once again, what a special privilege it is to have children.


After church, Claire and Scott went to get mommy's special surprise! They went to Bread Co. to get me a yummy sandwich and to Subway to get themselves sandwiches. Then they came home and packed a picnic and we headed to Creve Coeur park for a picnic. We also loaded bikes and fishing gear. Did I mention that I didn't get a bike?!!


This pictures is of Sam and Emma. It sort of looks like he is saying, "Hey, I'll trade you this pear for that cookie." and she is saying, "Ah, whatever!"
The day was sort of cloudy so it wasn't the perfect day to lay on a picnic blanket all afternoon as Scott had planned for me. Instead he took them fishing and gave me the keys to the truck so I could go there if I got too cold. I worked on my Bible study and played around with my camera. It was fun, relaxing and quiet. We headed home and grilled out. Then I got to take a 6 mile Mother's Day Fun Run with 2 of my running buddies.
It was just what I needed and completed my day.
Mother's day is always a tough one for me. Ever since I lost my mom I think I have sort of felt weird celebrating it. I almost feel like it is a day of sadness and mourning. I usually spend this day with my grandma Lorene who has lost both of her children. This year I felt like I needed to be with my own family to have some time to re-group. My sister took my grandma out to dinner and I do hope they were able to celebrate and not mourn. I miss my mom so very much and I am sad that I don't have a mother to celebrate with on Mother's day. I do think that if she were alive that she would want me to celebrate another year of being a mom to her 3 grandchildren and that she would tell me, "Now don't get me anything for Mother's Day...I don't need a thing." I think she said that because she bought her own gifts too!! (see previous post!)
I hope all of you who are mother's had a great day!

No comments: