Tuesday, May 31, 2011

A new runner in our family



For some time now I have been trying to gently persuade my husband to take up running. We have been in need of a joint hobby, preferably one that is cheaper than eating out and less time consuming than golf! After a recent "health check", Scott decided he wanted to take up some cardio because all that weight lifting he does is taking a toll on his body and not really helping his heart. So we started running a little at a time and eventually he was up to 2 miles on his own with hardly any urging from me. I was proud of him, but still trying to hold back, not wanting to push him too hard. (I cannot figure out how to get this black and not underlined. I am such a computer genius!)

Then our brother in law, Randy, who also recently took up running, registered for the U. City 5K while they were here this weekend. I told Scott I thought he could do it and on the last possible day one could register I signed him up! I decided to do the 5K too, realizing I had not ran a 5K in 5 years or so, since I have been doing longer distance races. The idea was just to do something active and have fun.

But then, Scott Smout found his inner ROCK STAR!! He beat us all...

Scott ran the 5K in 25:52 and I did it in 26:47! Here is where I point out how much taller he is than me :) Our kids did the 1 mile fun run and Sam and Claire crossed the finish line together in under 9 minutes! Emma did finish at a good clip although I did not see the time and she did not care. It really doesn't matter. I am proud of them for doing it!

And I am also proud of my brother in law, Randy, for finishing his first race. He was unprepared for the hills and heat of STL, but he finished. I kept telling him to just have fun, which is great advice that someone once told me :)

No comments: