Saturday, May 14, 2011

Papa Chuck

Below is a picture of my favorite 3 bald men and my favorite red head, who will likely be bald too, so I am allowing him to wear his hair as long as possible until it starts receding! All joking aside, this post is a tribute to the cute little guy in the center, Charles Oliver Smout, 97 who passed away from this earth into the loving arms of our heavenly Father on May 13th.

This picture was taken in 2006 when we had all of Scott's family together in FL. It is a treasure to me. It captures his smile which is just as I remember him. Scott and I had the privilege of living in FL for 2 years and we got to see Chuck and Lois quite frequently. We started our family there and I remember many Sunday afternoons going to their house for dinner and watching Chuck hold Claire, she looked so little in his arms. Chuck was a man of few words, but when you got him talking about something he was interested in he was quite chatty and had an amazing ability to remember dates and specifics.

Here is what I know about Chuck:
He loved salad and desserts
He loved Oldsmobiles
He loved the game of golf
He loved rose gardening
He loved crossword puzzles
He loved Lois, his surviving wife and Greenville College sweetie
He loved God and served him until he no longer could
He loved Greenville College and served on their board for a long time
He was an educator/administrator, working in the Pinellas County school system
He used to drive a blue Cutlass, which Scott has owned for the last 13 years
He was one of 6 children

And I know we miss him already.

No comments: