Saturday, October 18, 2008

Fun Saturday

Today was our typical Saturday with a few twists! Scott took Sam hunting for the first time. He had mentioned it to him last night and then at 4:45 AM the little guy awoke, came in our bed, wide awake and said, "We go hunting daddy?" How could any hunter say no to that! So they got on their camo, made some hot chocolate with marshmallows, grabbed their bow (for a deer) and their gun (for a turkey)...you never know what you might see! They loaded up and drove to Cuba, MO to a friend's farm. Scott said Sam talked the whole way there. While walking to "the perfect hunting spot" Scott did see a white tailed friend however it was too far away to get with a bow. After they found the perfect spot two boys hung out and enjoyed nature, hot chocolate and practiced their whispering. After being out there for a couple of hours the whispering became harder and the lure of the pond was calling. "Daddy, can we go fishing yet?" So, they went fishing and caught a bass. Then they called it a day and came home. I think it was a very great day for both of them. Scott is thrilled to have a hunting buddy and Sam thinks it is so cool to get to be with daddy on an adventure. This will surely become even more special and more common as Sam gets older. However, at 4 it is still quite exhausting. He did sleep about an hour on the way home and was in bed early tonight. Whispering is so exhausting!!
The girls and I had a relaxing morning of sleeping in until 6:30 am! Then we enjoyed french toast with blueberries and some TV. We then wrapped up little invitations to a Halloween party and delivered them to some of our neighbors. Then we ran an errand, rushed home to get ready for soccer and had a snack lunch.
Then the craziness began with Emma's soccer game at noon and Claire's soccer game at 3. Emma's team lost she will tell you 0-3. Claire's team won 4-0 and Claire even scored a goal! It was a beautiful day for soccer games, a bit chilly after our long summer, but nice!
After the games we came home and played more soccer in the backyard. I cooked dinner and we had a relaxing evening at home. It is days like this when I realize how much I love my family. Granted, there was fighting, screaming, hurt feelings, etc. but as I looked out my kitchen window and I saw 3 happy, healthy kids playing soccer with their daddy I couldn't help but think, "I am so lucky. I don't want them to grow up." I know they will and we will have more Saturdays were the boys are hunting and the girls are playing, but I do hope that when the day ends it ends like today with everyone together enjoying one another! Sam would say he hopes it ends with "more deer shot!", as he prayed in his dinner prayer tonight!

1 comment:

Jane-Ellis Griggs said...

What a wonderful day! Hunting and fishing with Dad in the same day. What a treat! Congrats, Claire on the big goal :) Lisa - I love the blog - it is about time!