Friday, August 21, 2009

bits of the day

Today was the second day of our new school routine.  It had it's ups and downs.  Here are some highlights.
I drove in the am!  Last year I never, ever had to drive in the am and this year I am driving 2 mornings a week.  We were on time and I was even dressed and had everything I needed for my day in the car.  I am still shocked, but very proud of me.

I began a new Bible study at church today.  I am really excited about it.  After a fairly unstructured summer it also feels great to get back in to a routine of studying God's word with other women.  

After the Bible study I got a pedicure.  I have not gotten a pedicure since my last post about pedicures in March before the auction.  I am not trying to justify it.  I wanted it and after Scott told me I have a wart on my little toe last night, I figured I needed it.  It was not a wart.  The lady confirmed that it is just dry skin and tonight it is no longer present.  Psuedowart gone!

A friend was having a baby today and asked me to pick up her son from school today at 12:20.  I told her no problem and to make sure she sends a note to school.  At. 12:20 they bring Sam to my car and we head to Schnuck's for a couple things.  I have been cooking for an army the past couple of days!  When we get all buckled in the car I begin to ask Sam about what we are going to do today and just then I realize I did not pick up his friend.  Oh, no.  Where is he?  It is 12:50.  I call the school and he is in the office.  I tell them I am on my way.  I am so embarrassed.  I told him I am so glad it is his mommy having her 4th baby today and not me because obviously I cannot handle the schedule of 3!  

When we got home Sam played legos at the kitchen table for over an hour while I continued the cooking frenzy.  I got 2 more meals in the freezer today as well as some garlic bread to pull out when we need it.  And after a long quest I finally found chipotle peppers in adobe sauce for my enchilada recipe.  They are so hot.  Almost intolerable.  Scott will love these enchiladas and the kids will not be able to eat them.  The sad part is that I tripled the recipe!  I should have listened to the guy at Trader Joe's.  When I asked him if they had them he said "no, but I'd stay away from anything with adobe sauce.  I had it once in a bloody mary and I was crying out for a glass of milk!"  Lesson of the day is to listen to the Trader Joe's guy.  And if you want to find out about adobe sauce, I found them at Dierbergs!

After school we played on the CCS playground for a while.  Claire asked if she could do her homework?  I almost fell over thinking, it is Friday.  You have all weekend.  Go ahead if you want to.  She and Olivia worked on some of it on the playground-wild.  She is really excited about school this year.  Her first homework is about Charlotte's Web and they are going to read it and do a play on it this first quarter.

We dropped Olivia off, came home and something truly magical or odd happened in my house.  My kids were angelic.  I wanted to make sure I posted about this because it was truly wonderful.  From 4:30 until almost 6 pm no one came to ask me for a snack, no one whined, no one tattled.  Claire read books to them and they sat and listened.  No one even fought over what book she was going to read.  It was beautiful and I told them so.  I am guessing that this must have occurred because quite possibly they actually miss each other now that they have had 2 days apart while they have been in school.  I will see what the weekend holds.  

We had pizza for dinner and take the cake ice cream.  Emma's favorite.  We played Hullabaloo, watched an episode of Ruff Ruffman, talked to daddy on the phone and I tucked them in.  I returned to cooking.  With a sink full of dirty dishes I am done.  I will clean it up in the morning.  The recipe says to wait one hour for the adobe sauce to cool...it is never really going to cool, but it is in the fridge!  I don't have an hour,  however I am hoping to go to sleep for at least 8.  

Happy Weekend everyone!

2 comments:

Melanie said...

I want to see the list of foods cooked and put in the freezer. Share with us, please.

amy said...

yes. share please.
i also need the recipe on how you got your kids to be angelic. :)