Thursday, August 20, 2009

School's On!

Yesterday was a relaxing morning.  We slept in, sort of and then headed to First Watch for an end of summer breakfast.  We didn't eat until about 9:30.  Today on the other hand was a mad rush to get up and out the door with something nourishing in their bodies, clothes and shoes on and feeling just right, brushing teeth, snacks, backpacks, lunch, L handed scissors, and a paint shirt!  We still forgot Claire's markers but something had to go wrong!

Here are our 3rd grader, 1st grader and Kindergartner on the way to school in the back of Daddy's truck.
The best and worst thing about our school is it's location.  We had to park about 3 blocks away and walk to school today.  The parking lot was full and due to the above tasks of the morning we are never, never early enough to snag a spot.  Exercise is good before you have to sit all day anyway.  CCS is so blessed to be growing and we love to be part of the buzz of the first day at such an exciting place.

STOP growing up you guys!!!!  I remember Claire's first day of school in JK and now she is in 3rd grade and my baby is heading to Kindergarten.  He was a bit nervous this morning and said, "I don't think I am quite ready for kindergarten."  I said, "Buddy, you know your letter and your numbers.  What do you mean you aren't ready?"  He replied, "You know mom when you have something new and you just feel ______."  I said "nervous" and he said, "Yeah, nervous."  He did have some jitters so Scott agreed to take him and Emma to their classes first because I would probably have prolonged things.  Anyway, Claire had already asked me to walk her up.  Her morning consisted of putting away and sorting her school supplies, sharpening pencils and finding her desk.
Here she is at her desk.  She has a nice, larger classroom and is sitting next to her friend Raphaella.  She was also a bit nervous I think.  The school build up is huge.  I have to admit I was even sick to my stomach this morning.  It is just such an emotional day.  We have had lots of emotional days here lately so maybe our senses are heightened, but either way it is a lot to take in.

After I got Claire settled I went down and found Scott in the hallway.  I told him I was going to go give Sam and Emma a kiss and he told me that their teachers had shut the doors and officially kicked all the parents out. I felt cheated.  I felt robbed.  Would they know my intention was to kiss them?  

I headed to Sam's club.  My goal over the next 2-3 days is to create a freezer full of meals for my family to use when we are on the go or when Scott is working so I don't feed my kids dino bites and mac n' cheese every night.  I got all the shopping done today and 3 meals assembled.  More cooking to be done tomorrow!

At 12:20 I picked up Sam and he was beaming.  I gave him kisses then.  He told me it was a fun day and he had 2 recesses!  He told me everything was fun but circle time.  He has never liked circle time.  We went to Trader Joe's and he found the elephant.  He told me he was tired. Tonight when I tucked him in he asked me if he was going to try full day tomorrow?  Funny, last night he told me he was glad to be a 1/2 day friend.  I guess that is a sign that today went well! 

At 3:20 I picked up Claire, Emma, Olivia and Lucy.  Lucy is finally getting to do carpool and she is so excited!  Everyone had really good reports of their day.  I am no longer feeling sick to my stomach tonight as I take it all in.  One day down.  One peg in the many holes of our schedule.  We will see what tomorrow holds.

1 comment:

amy said...

sounds like a great day!!