Friday, December 12, 2008

Winter Wonderland

Today I made plans to go with our friend Kerri and her kids to the Tilles Park Winter Wonderland. This is a light display that has been in St. Louis for a long time. I have not been through it in at least 10 years. I used to remember that the line was always very long so Kerri and I planned to meet at 5:30 pm and then try to get in line car to car and then follow each other to the Galleria food court where we would meet Scott and George for dinner with the kids. It sounded like a good plan.

5:15 I load everyone up, get Blitzen in his crate, go the bank so I have $ to pay.
5:25 We park at the remote location where we are going to meet Kerri
5:26 Emma cries because she wants water. "I am SOOOOOOOO thirsty mom". Not to mention hungry and tired.
5:27 Kerri calls and says she is stopped in traffic at Clayton and Ballas--those West County folks.
5:27 Emma cries because she is SOOOOOOOOOOOOO thirsty
5:28 We begin playing the guess what animal I am thinking about game.
5:32 Kerri calls. The traffic is moving. And she has candy canes!
5:33 Scott calls. Will we be at the Galleria by 6? no way!
5:34 We discuss characteristics of mammals.
5:35 Kerri calls again. She is close and she has water!
5:38 Scott calls. We make plans to meet at 6:30.
5:44 Kerri arrives with water and candy canes and we travel to the winter wonderland!
5:50We arrive to find NO LINE!!
5:51-6:12 We listen to Christmas music, enjoy the lights and RELAX! Here are the comments from the back seat:
Emma: "This is so beautiful"
Sam: "All of my JK friends are going to wish they could see this!"
"Daddy should have come with us."
Claire: "How do they make that guy look like he is skiing down the hill?"

6:30 Luck out with parking spots at the Galleria, arrive at food court and minutes later the daddy's arrive!! Yeah for Daddy's!

We enjoyed a kid friendly dinner of Johnny Rockets, Japanese, Chinese and cheesesteak sandwiches. Then the kids all went to visit Santa and we walked and talked from one end of the mall to the other. It turned out to be a great night. The lights are truly magical. I am so glad that we went! When we pulled up to our house it seemed so boring. I think we need some lights. I better get Scott on that tomorrow!

No comments: