Here is a synopsis of my girl's racing weekend in the order of the title:
FOOD: City Coffee house & creperie for lunch on Friday. We got to dine outside in 70 degree temps! These are ideal crepe eating conditions. 7 gals total. Made for great conversation and lots of fun! Attempted Brandt's on the loop on Friday night only to eventually get up and leave after paying for my fountain soda! The music was good but loud, the service was lousy so we headed to the Crossing only to be seated by the very finest hostess around and run into more great friends. The food there was delicious and we could hear each other talk!
SHOPPING: Got started at 11:30 on Sat. morning and shopped until 6:15pm. We hit lots of different types of stores. Home stores, boutiques, shoes at Nordstrom's, etc. We had lunch at the tea room at English Living. I highly recommend this little place. I can't afford a thing in the store...but I can afford to eat lunch there and I thoroughly enjoyed it!! My purchases from the weekend included 2 birthday gifts for Sam, a candle from k.hall, a fun blouse and a bird's nest. Random I know :)
PASTA: We got back to my house at 6:40 from shopping. We had 13 girls total coming over for a "pasta party" at 7!! Yikes. We got everything ready in time. Elizabeth picked up the pasta, Tiffanie made the salad and Melanie brought the dessert. Pasta party was covered! We carb loaded, handed out shirts, race bibs and made all the final preparations with our teams for how to meet and exchange at the relay.
EARTH, WIND, FIRE...These were the names of our 3 teams! I have to admit that Melanie B. came up with the names and I am not sure if I could even tell you the name of one of the songs that this 70's rock group sings. But the names seemed good and so we went for it. Melanie M. and Andrea C. burned a CD with some fun inspiring race tunes, got dressed up in track suits and sweat bands and really got everyone fired up for the race with some cheers, screams and lots of laughs!! I love you guys!! Our teams did well. Team Fire came in 9th in our division, Team Earth came in 30th and Team Wind came in 36th. There were 72 teams of women in our division so we were in the top half. This was not my best run, but given the conditions I still did 6.25 miles in under an hour and I had fun doing it, so I'll take it!!
RAIN: Lots and lots of rain on Saturday night and Sunday morning. Luckily not enough for them to call off the race. As Kim, Melanie and I were walking to the metro station it was just beginning to sprinkle. By the time we started running it was really raining. I have only ran once in the rain so it was not something I was experienced with. There were so many people it was hard to dodge puddles. Then once your socks get soaked you figure you might as well just jump in the puddle, really!! I sort of felt like I was at Six Flags and I was the only one on the Tidal Wave without a poncho! Following rain, came cold. Not ideal conditions, but we all made it through! With running the first leg I had time afterwards to go back to Melanie's to put my shirt in the dryer and go get a coffee with 2 buddies! We then had time to do to the 3rd station to see some fellow teammates and metro back to cross the finish line in our individual teams.
CAMP: I can only imagine the one thing worse than running in the rain would be camping in the rain, which is what Scott and the kids did in order for me to be able to open up my house and give my friends some beds for the weekend. He is a saint. The kids are still talking about all the fun they had and how big the fish was that daddy caught and they ate it! The camping gear is still drying out and I am still doing the laundry. I am glad they were safe and no one washed away :) I will post camping pictures soon.
Overall this was a great weekend. The mix of girls weekend with a race was ideal for me. Everything I love in one weekend with people that I enjoy. The mix of girls that ran was wonderful. God helped me put this together and put these teams together. He helped me find back ups as people dropped out and it all went off pretty smoothly. I am going on a run this afternoon. I will be training now for another half marathon! I can't wait!
The State I’m In
8 years ago
2 comments:
It was fun and I thought you ran great! Thanks for all of your hard work.
Gosh, we must have been so near each other...how did I not see you at all after we crossed the starting line? Glad you had a good race--I thought it went pretty well, too. I'm definitely doing another half...now I'm hooked.
Post a Comment